Step 1: Complete all of the following prior to registering for our instructor course:
1) Have a CURRENT (not expired) AHA Provider card in the discipline you wish to become an instructor in (ie: if you want to be an AHA BLS instructor, you must have an AHA BLS Provider certification). If your card is expiring in the next few months, we recommend renewing your card prior to taking the instructor course.
2) Have your own AHA Provider manual for the discipline you are seeking Instructor Status in (required to attend Instructor class).
3) Have your own AHA Instructor manual for the discipline you are seeking Instructor Status in (required to attend Instructor class).
*Manuals and keycodes for instructor courses can be purchased at the official AHA distributor: Worldpoint.
4) Complete the online portion of the Instructor course you wish to be certified to teach here: https://www.onlineaha.org/courses#7 and email completion certificate to us at MIDFLCPR@gmail.com. The cost of the online portion is NOT included in the course cost – you must complete this prior to registration.
Step 2: Complete the in-person course
We no longer accept instructors without pre-approval first. Once you have your AHA Provider certification, have completed the online AHA Essentials course, and have both manuals for your course, you can request a link to register. During the in-person course, we will cover details about being an instructor, review applicable paperwork required for each class you teach, and outline the next steps to move forward as an instructor. This is also your chance to ask us questions!
Step 3: Complete the monitoring session
Once you have gone through all the training, you will come to one of our classes and be paired with an experienced instructor for your monitoring session. You will be given portions of the class to teach to real students and will be expected to teach based on what you’ve learned in the instructor courses. You are not expected to be an expert, but rather demonstrate knowledge of AHA course material and get practice with teaching and remediating students, filling out paperwork, how to issue certifications, etc.
Please plan early if you need to become an instructor and expect to wait approximately 4 weeks after you’ve completed all mandatory requirements to receive your AHA Instructor card.
*Mannequins, classroom videos, student manuals, certification cards and any other teaching supplies are not included in the cost of Instructor training.
A: Each Instructor course discipline is $375. This includes the in-person course & first years alignment fee only. All other required materials (Instructor Essentials (online course), Provider manual, and Instructor manuals are NOT included in course cost.)
Q: Can I teach on my own once I have completed all the requirements to be issued an instructor card?
A: Yes, you will be teaching classes on your own at a location of your choice. More information on the AHA structure for teaching courses is provided during the instructor class.
Q: Are there any other fees once I become an instructor?
A: Yes, there is a $75 per discipline annual alignment fee. Your first years alignment fee is included in the $375 course fee. You will also be responsible for purchasing your own equipment required to conduct the classes as well as the AHA DVD’s which are required to use while teaching your classes.
Q: How often do I have to renew my Instructor cards?
A: Every 2 years, the same as you renew your Provider cards (remember that there is no grace period for renewals – make sure you plan ahead to renew your instructor cards!)
Q: How often do you have Instructor courses?
A: We hold instructor courses once a month. Classes fill up quickly so we suggest planning to register early.
Q: How do I register for a class?
A: Email us your AHA Provider certification and your AHA Instructor Course Essentials Certificate then complete the request form below.
Q: When is your next class?
A: The next available instructor courses dates are:
*BLS Instructor Course – Saturday, Sept. 21st, 2019 at 9am
*ACLS Instructor Course – Monday, Sept. 23rd, 2019 at 12pm
*PALS Instructor Course – Tuesday, Sept. 24th, 2019 at 1pm
**Last day to register for September instructor courses is Fri, Sept 13th.**
Have questions not answered here? Send us an email: MIDFLCPR@gmail.com
The American Heart Association strongly promotes knowledge and proficiency in BLS, ACLS, and PALS, and has developed instructional materials for this purpose. Use of these materials in an educational course does not represent course sponsorship by the American Heart Association, and any fees charged for such a course do not represent income to the Association.
To request registration for an upcoming Instructor course:
1) Email your AHA Provider certification and AHA Instructor Essentials certificate to: MIDFLCPR@gmail.com
2) You should already have the appropriate AHA Instructor manuals prior to registering.
3) Fill out the following form and we will contact you with a link to register. Do not complete this form if you are not ready to submit payment. Requests submitted through this form will NOT be responded to if we have not received your current certifications listed above.